Thursday, July 12, 2007

Arthur Hailey, what a writer!!


Well, I am not a voracious reader, but do read some times. And some of the best books that I have read have been penned by one great novelist, Arthur Hailey. I would rather call him a tutor than an author because all his novels teach us the happenings in each and every field that we come across in our day-to-day life, be it about the airport and its functioning, or the electricity board, the hospitals etc..



Some of his famous titles include;
Airport
Hotel
Hospital
Surgeon
The Final Diagnosis

The Detective
Strong Medicine
Wheels
Overload
Money Changers

I have not read all his works yet. Am still to read Overload, strong medicine and Money changers. Of all these famous titles, the best according to me was the Detective. I guess because I am always interested in knowing how a particular case is solved, this was more gripping to me. He has really kept up the pace of the story from the beginning to the end so beautifully that you feel as if you are standing next to the person carrying out the investigations.

Each one is a masterpiece. We come to know in depth about the happenings in each of the specific field that book is concerned with. In Airport, he gives us an in depth a
nalysis of all that happens in an airport daily, which we are sure to remember when we take the next flight.

If Hospital deals with the daily routine of the hospital, The Final Diagnosis deals specifically with the pathology department whereas in Surgeon, he gives us an extensively detailed account of a Heart-Transplant, and this was written when probably most of the scientific world was still contemplating whether such a thing is possible at all!!


Another excellent book is Wheels, dealing with the automobile industry. This is another book I ilked very much as I am a Formula 1 buff. The saying "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" is simply amazing and quite the real fact!

The last, but by no means the least, is Hotel. Boy, this is another excellent book. Read this and you come to realise what all troubles you might cause when you stay in a hotel the next time and just remember this as you might avoid causing them.

It is reading works like these that make you educated and not just reading yout texts as these help you in all walks of life. Though the story content is purely fiction, the actual description is completely research based and is absolutely real.

Thank You Sir Arthur!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

spoonbill said...

very beautiful description and pictures. I am tempted to visit this place. The small temple is cave is amazing. very nicely expresses. keep posting

Vipin said...

Nice work..

Sir Arthur Hailey, is one of my favourite authors.

Every singly book of his, reflects meticulous research and sincere effort to bring out the best.

The books I like the most are Final Diagnosis, and Strong Medicine.

The image of the Old Pathologist painted by Sir Hailey is so great, that, I have almost seen him at many a place.

Pooja said...

I love Hailey. I wish he had written more. All his books are so beautifully written!